Yes, AAA cover rental car insurance.
When you need rental car insurance, AAA is a reliable choice. They cover members well, including collisions and rentals abroad.
“If your car needs repairs after an accident, AAA can cover your rental car expenses, but only if you have rental reimbursement coverage.
This coverage, which costs less than $10 monthly, is an optional add-on that you can choose with AAA”.
The American Automobile Association (AAA) is well-known for its roadside assistance, but did you know they also offer comprehensive insurance, including coverage for rental cars?
In this article, we’ll break down the basics of AAA’s rental car insurance, helping you understand what’s covered and why it matters.
Whether you’re planning a road trip or just need a rental for a few days, knowing the ins and outs of AAA’s coverage can make a significant difference.
What rental car coverage generally includes?
Rental car insurance can seem complex, but it typically covers different aspects.
Here’s a simplified breakdown
- Collision Damage Waiver (CDW)/Loss Damage Waiver (LDW): This is like a safety net, preventing the rental company from charging you for damages or theft.
- Supplemental Liability Protection (SLP): Gives extra protection if you’re at fault in an accident, covering costs for damage or injuries to others.
- Personal Accident Insurance (PAI): Covers medical costs for you and passengers in case of an accident.
- Personal Effects Coverage (PEC): Protects your belongings stolen from the rental car.
- Roadside Assistance: Some companies offer help for emergencies like flat tires or lockouts.
These coverages can vary by company and location, so always check the terms and conditions.
Also, your personal auto insurance or credit card may provide some of these coverage, so it’s wise to check before opting for more.
Importance and benefits of having rental car coverage
Rental car coverage isn’t just an extra expense; it comes with vital benefits:
- Financial Protection: If there’s an accident or theft, your rental car insurance can save you from unexpected expenses.
- Peace of Mind: Knowing you’re covered makes your rental experience stress-free, letting you focus on enjoying your trip.
- Personal Effects Coverage: If your belongings are stolen from the rental, insurance covers what your regular auto insurance might not.
- Gap Coverage: Rental car companies may charge extra fees not covered by regular insurance, but rental car insurance can step in.
Before buying, check your existing auto insurance and credit card benefits. Understanding the details of rental car coverage ensures you make the right choice.
AAA’s Rental Car Insurance: A Closer Look
Exploring how AAA provides rental car insurance for its members.
Extension of Personal Auto Policy
If you have AAA’s auto insurance, your coverage for your personal vehicle usually extends to rental cars.
Liability, collision, and comprehensive coverages typically apply, following your policy’s terms and conditions.
Rental Car Reimbursement
AAA offers rental car reimbursement as an optional coverage. It helps pay for a rental if your insured vehicle is in the shop for covered repairs.
Keep in mind, it doesn’t apply to rentals for vacations or personal use.
International Rental Coverage
Planning to rent outside the U.S.? Contact AAA to understand how your coverage applies.
Possible Exclusions and Limitations
Like any insurance, AAA’s coverage may not extend to all situations.
For instance, it might not cover rental cars for commercial use or ride-sharing. Certain fees charged by the rental company might also not be covered.
If an accident happens in a rental car, file a claim with AAA as you would for your own vehicle.
Rental Car Benefits Through AAA Membership
Different AAA membership levels offer various rental car benefits, from discounts to enhanced coverage.
Membership costs vary but can include perks like 24/7 roadside assistance and discounts on flights and hotels.
Always check directly with AAA or their website for the most accurate information on your coverage.
Reasons to Consider CarInsuRent Car Rental Excess Insurance
Understanding the benefits of additional car rental insurance.
If the rental is stolen, car rental insurance would cover the cost.
Convenience and Peace of Mind
Avoid dealing with your insurance company, and no worry about increased premiums after an accident.
Coverage in Case of Insufficient Personal Auto Insurance
If your auto insurance has high deductibles, rental car insurance can provide additional protection.
No Claim on Personal Insurance
If you’ve recently filed a claim, avoiding another can prevent your premiums from skyrocketing.
Personal Effects Coverage
Covers theft of personal items from the rental.
Coverage for Additional Drivers
Ensures all drivers are covered if sharing driving responsibilities during the rental period.
Protection Against Vandalism
Coverage for repairs if the car is vandalised.
Charges like “loss of use” or diminished value might not be covered by regular insurance but can be covered by rental car insurance.
Paying for car rental excess insurance ensures you won’t be responsible for a high deductible in case of an accident.
Coverage in Foreign Countries
Travelling abroad? Personal auto insurance may not cover you; rental car insurance ensures you’re protected.
Research and understand coverage options and costs to make an informed decision.
Understanding rental car insurance, whether through AAA or additional providers, is crucial for a stress-free travel experience.
Whether it’s AAA’s comprehensive coverage or additional insurance like CarInsuRent, making informed choices ensures you’re well-protected on the road.
Frequently Asked Questions about AAA Rental Car Insurance
Is AAA rental car insurance mandatory for members?
No, it’s optional but highly recommended.
Does AAA cover rental cars internationally?
Coverage primarily applies in the U.S.; international coverage varies.
Can AAA coverage be used for business trips?
Yes, it covers both personal and business use.
How does AAA handle accidents with uninsured motorists?
AAA covers accidents involving uninsured or underinsured motorists.
Can I add extra drivers to my AAA rental car coverage?
Depending on your plan, additional drivers may be covered. Check your plan for details.
- How To Pay AAA Insurance With a Credit Card?
- Is Geico Cheaper Than AAA? Complete Guide
- What Are The Types of AAA Insurance Policies?
- What Steps Should You Take Immediately If You Are Involved In A Collision?
- How To File A Car Accident Claim With AAA Insurance?
- What is the Difference Between AAA Plus and AAA Classic?